Tuesday, May 18, 2021

The Stony Heart - hymn

 A hymn that always moves me, but it took me forever to find online:

The Stony Heart

by Joseph Hart

1 Oh for a glance of heavenly day,
to take this stubborn heart away,
and thaw with beams of love divine
This heart, this frozen heart of mine!

2 The rocks can rend; the earth can quake;
The seas can roar; the mountains shake;
Of feeling all things show some sign:
But this unfeeling heart of mine.

3 To hear the sorrows thou hast felt,
O Lord, an adamant might melt;
But I can read each moving line,
and nothing moves this heart of mine.

4 Thy judgments too, which devils fear,
(Amazing thought!) unmoved I hear;
Goodness and wrath in vain combine,
To stir this stupid heart of mine.

5 Eternal Spirit! mighty God!
Apply to me the Saviour's blood;
'Tis His rich blood, and His alone,
Can move and melt this heart of stone.

Source: The Book of Worship #355

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home